Chocolate, strawberries and bananas are one tasty combination. I made this recipe for the first time last year for Valentine’s Day and they added so much pleasure and love to my taste buds that there was no question in my mind that I would be making them again this year (and to be honest, I’ve made batches of these muffins throughout the year). They are great on-the-go treats and taste moist and chocolaty. Since these muffins and I found each other last year, I’ve prepared batches to take on plane rides, I’ve packed them in my lunches, and given them away to my friends and family. These littl’ muffins have been a lovely part of my life for a year and I love them warmed out of the oven or as a chilled snack out of the fridge!
Speaking of love, I love Valentine’s Day whether or not I am in a relationship or single. Valentine’s Day is about love, after all, and there is always so much loving to be done- towards ourselves, family, friends, pets, food (duhh), and LIFE. If you can see the sunshine, beauty and love in your life every day, then Valentine’s Day is just another day to see and express that love. And to eat chocolate, strawberries and bananas! Obviously.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with love <3
Ingredients (makes about 12 muffins):
12 medjool dates, pits removed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans
2 cups frozen organic strawberries, thawed
2 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
¾ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, stir whole-wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3) Then, in a cup or small bowl mix ground flaxseed with ½ cup non-dairy milk and let sit for five minutes.
4) Put aside dry mixture and in a Vitamix or blender, combine black beans (make sure to drain water from the can), pitted dates, 2 bananas, cocoa powder, flaxseed gel (after sitting for the five minutes), vanilla and coffee extract. Combine this mixture with the dry mixture and stir thoroughly until all the flour is mixed into the wet chocolately mixture.
5) Chop up the 3rd banana and stir in for some fun banana chunks in the final muffins. Add whole defrosted strawberries (if there is “strawberry juice” in the bowl of defrosted strawberries, leave this out as it will make the batter too liquidy) and stir in these as well.
6) In a 12-cup muffin pan place cupcake paper cups and using a spoon, scoop in batter in equal parts. Bake for 35 minutes and serve warm.
7) Sprinkle cinnamon on top if desired.
And finally, I thought this quote was appropriate:
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa